Bethel Island Community Meeting
June 4th, 6:30 pm-8:30 pm
Thank you to the community members of Bethel Island for their input as part of Envision Contra Costa 2040! Meeting attendees shared a range opinions and perspectives, which fostered a constructive conversation about the future of Bethel Island. Some themes emerging from the conversations included:
- Preserve the island’s relaxed and quiet character and its strong tourism and recreation amenities.
- Promote a family-oriented atmosphere with more kid-friendly parks and annual community events.
- Support farm-to-table businesses and agriculture uses, rather than chain restaurants or heavy industrial uses.
- Enhance pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure.
- Improve accessibility to and traffic on the island.
- Address flooding and levee issues.
- Improve fire protection services and emergency preparedness.
- Mitigate water quality issues and consider water supply alternatives.
- Clean up blight and vegetation overgrowth both on land and along the waterways.
- Increase minimum parcel size in agricultural areas.
- Expand commercial zoning along key roadways.