Canyon Virtual Community Meeting
August 6th, 6:00-8:00 PM
Thank you to those who attended the first Canyon community meeting for Envision Contra Costa 2040! With over 30 community members in attendance over Zoom, participants shared a range of perspectives and opinions about the issues facing Canyon residents. Participants reviewed and shared their thoughts about the draft Community Profile for Canyon. The profile provides context about the community, an overview of planned land uses, and examples of guiding principles, policies, and actions to guide growth and development over the next twenty years. Participants shared feedback that we will use in refining the profile to ensure it reflects what community members want for the future of Canyon. The following ideas are highlights of what emerged from the discussion.
- Preserve open spaces and wildlife areas.
- Protect water resources, including creeks and groundwater resources.
- Maintain the close knit, self-reliant community feel.
- Celebrate Canyon’s funky, eclectic building character.
- Ensure necessary zoning changes do not impose an unreasonable burden on community members.
- Maintain important community spaces such as Canyon School and the post office.
- Address increasing incidents of illegal dumping.
- Improve internet connectivity and cell phone coverage.
- Increase road maintenance and signage on Pinehurst Road and Canyon Road.
- Address speeding issues and discourage cut-through traffic on Pinehurst Road.
- Establish evacuation routes to protect residents from flooding, wildfires, and other natural disasters.
- Expand scope of profile maps to include San Leandro Creek and Indian Valley.